A moist buttermilk cake with a sweet, crunchy surprise!
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa, plus extra for coating pans
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee or water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 to 3 containers (16 ounces each) prepared chocolate frosting or about 3 3/4 to 5 1/2 cups homemade
- 1 to 2 (1.55 ounces each) NESTLÉ CRUNCH Candy Bars, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup to 1 1/4 NESTLÉ® BUTTERFINGER® Baking Bits
How to make it
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease bottoms of three 8- or 9-inch-round cake pans; line with a parchment or wax paper circle. Grease parchment, then coat lightly with small amount of cocoa, tapping out excess.
- SIFT flour, ¾ cup cocoa, baking soda and salt together into a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, coffee and vanilla extract in small bowl.
- BEAT butter in large mixer bowl until smooth. Beat in sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; beat again. Alternately add flour mixture in three additions
- BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert each layer onto wire rack; remove parchment paper, then invert right-side-up. Cool completely.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Level (trim tops off) the cakes if desired using a serrated knife. Place a dollop of frosting in the center of a cake pedestal or serving platter so the cake won’t slip. Tear four strips of parchment paper and place in a square around the out